Sunday 9 February 2014

Snow tires, expensive... but are they worth it?


Everyone always seems to be discussing the importance of snow tires. I however, as a student decided that this would be a place to save cost when purchasing a car this year. I could not have been more wrong.

This winter has been a 'snowpocalypse'. The amount of snow we have received in the last few weeks seems as though it is a sign by which some cruel person has decided to inform me about my lack of preparation. Every drive to school, work or home seems like a field trip through the danger zone with my back end sliding around while my front tires are simultaneously spinning out of control.

And as much as I complain about this awful winter and the horrendous driving conditions it has taught me a lot and reminded me how important it is to always be a cautious driver. Through my bad luck I have learned that if you fail to start stopping way back you will in fact slide through a red light and then feel like you are holding your breath for a multitude of hours. I have learned that if you are having a difficult time getting up a hill dropping down into first will give you more traction. But most importantly I have learned that next year I will be investing in snow tires.


Slow down, and stay on the roads.
54,800 kms and counting.

7 comments:

  1. I completely feel the same way as you! I also hold my breath while I slide in the snow. It's a horrible feeling and I will be joining you on purchasing some snow tires.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely get snow tires. More importantly, when you buy snow tires, PUT THEM ON YOUR CAR. I've had snow tires for four years, but this year I was too lazy to haul them over to the garage to have them changed. I'm kicking myself now. But somehow I've still managed to justify not putting them on - Winter's almost over, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jennifer, good post about snow tires. They really are one of the unsung heroes when it comes to battling Old Man Winter. Not only do they increase safety but they truly help minimize the stress and fear of winter driving.

    I hope you are excited for your future snow tire investment and enjoy the reduced stress and fear that they will provide :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. One thing I must say, I have never used snow tires in my whole life. I do however invest in really excellent quality all-seasons. I swear by Michelin tires. They have great traction in any kind of weather, snow, sleet, torrential rain, you name it. I also drive an extension cargo van, not particularly known for handling well in weather, but once I switched from lower end all season tires I've never had a problem again. yes, Michelin tires are pricey, but definitely worth it in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just purchased snow tires this winter and it has helped a great deal. The stopping too late has happened to me too many times and made me feel a great deal of shock and relief that nothing bad happened. You have a nice car by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hate to say it it, BUT I told you so. Especially since this winter has been crazy weather, everyone needs snow tires. Although they killed my bank account when I first bought my car, they have been the best investment.
    Ps.The picture makes this post (Lexa)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Snowpocalype! hahahaha totally! I drove home safely all the way from Welland during the blizzard only to get stuck in my driveway.. Well, good thing I got Mama Wagon off the road. I just left her there for a little while so I could catch my breath after white knuckling it all the way home. Great blog idea, I shall be checking back!

    ReplyDelete