Thursday 13 February 2014

What do you hang from your rearview mirror?




Every driver attempts to personalize his or her vehicle, and there are so many ways to do this. A specific scent or air freshener, seat covers, mats, detailing or colours. But the one I find most fascinating is what a driver hangs from their rear view mirror. I am not talking about parking passes, I mean the things an individual has taken the time to think out. The variety is endless.

For example you have the classic baby shoes, dice and mardi gras beads, but when you start to pay attention you will be rather surprised by what you see. Mini skeletons, Hawaiian lais, necklaces, dog tags and children's crafts. The possibilities are endless.

When walking through a parking lot I love looking at these small momentos and trying to picture who the driver of a vehicle may be. Is the driver a owner of the car with dice a young reckless male, or did the woman driving the car with dog tags lose someone close to her.

We all have our reasons for hanging what we do in a space that is highly personally and a constant in our lives. So think about it. What do you have hanging from your rear view? What does it mean to you? 

Don't forget to check your rear view.
55, 234 km and counting.

7 comments:

  1. Jen I'm with you when trying to picture who the driver of the vehicle is! I will sometime just stop in the middle of a parking lot and check out a person's car and try and picture who is the owner. A little bizarre, yes but also a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. for a long, long time I had a stuffed Peter Pan hanging from my rear view mirror...I am WENDY after all! lol....When Peter got so faded from the sun he became an eyesore, I had to take him down and have yet to replace him. IDEAS anyone?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennifer, I loved reading this post! I have completely subconsciously found myself wondering how somebody decides what to hang on their rear view mirror. I currently have nothing but I will be sure to think twice before I choose!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I was in China, I always have had my own little Chinese Zodiac hanging there, which means a bless and safe driving in Chinese culture. I love these pretty gadgets in the car.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for admitting that you do that in parking lots. I think we all have this problem and was afraid of saying it out loud. I always had something hanging, usually small magnetic giraffes or moose while I was in college (the first time round) but I was tired of hearing my dad yell at me for having things hanging and distracting me while driving (it didn't) so I took it down.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have always paid attention to different license plates but never what's hanging on their rear view mirror, I think after reading this I will probably be looking around to see what others have, let's hope I don't get too distracted! It's interesting because it probably says a lot about the owners personality. Thanks for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just started thinking how badly boys are attached to their cars. There are even cases when owners had sexual relations or got married to their iron horses. Sounds fun but if to think how many lonely women we have all around, it is becoming a sad reality. Thank you for a great post!))

    ReplyDelete